It pays to have a friend with a lemon tree!
When my friend told me to take as many lemons as I wanted I immediately thought about making lemon curd. Then I thought, why not cupcakes? So lemon meringue cupcakes it was!
If you’re short on time (or lemons) you can use a store bought variety of lemon curd like Barkers. Nothing beats the real deal though! You’ll need to make it in advance so it has time to cool and thicken, I made mine the day before.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Makes approx. 12 Cupcakes
2/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
Zest from 4 lemons
5 egg yolks
90g butter, cubed
125g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp. lemon rind
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
- Put all ingredients in a small pot over a medium heat and whisk until butter is completely melted and ingredients and combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir consistently while mixture thickens, take care not to let it boil.
- When mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon easily it is ready.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap so that it touches the curd (to stop a layer of skin forming on top).
- Refrigerate until cold, at least one hour, or overnight if possible.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each addition. The mixture will look separated, don’t worry it’ll go back to normal soon!
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and milk in three additions, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in coconut and mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture into cupcakes cases.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut a hole in the centre of each cupcake and discard the tops (that means eat them).
- Make sure all equipment is completely oil free by washing it hot soapy water and drying completely before starting.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on a medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, one spoon at a time.
- Continue to mix for about 10 minutes, or until stiff peaks form and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Spoon lemon curd into cupcake holes, about 1 - 2 teaspoons should fill it up.
- Spoon meringue into a piping bag fitted with large round tip.
- Pipe meringue on cupcakes over top of the curd and place on oven tray.
- Bake about 5 -8 minutes or until lightly browned, alternatively brown the edges of the meringue with a brulee torch.