The recipe was really easy, you just make up some plain cupcake batter, divide the mixture between six bowls and add lots and lots of food colouring. My only advice would be to make sure you have plenty of cupcake batter, I didn't and it was so hard to spread the mix to get 12 cupcakes! For the sake of making your lives easier I've double the recipe below so you don't have the same problem.
Recipe adapted from Cut out and Keep
250g Caster Sugar
2 t Vanilla Extract
250g Self Raising Flour
6 T Milk
Food Colouring (red, yellow, green, green, blue)
- Preheat oven to 200 degree C and line two muffin tins with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour alternately with the milk in three additions, starting and ending with the flour.
- Divide batter evenly between 6 bowls.
- Add colouring to each bowl (red, red & yellow for orange, yellow, green, blue, blue and red for purple) I used about a cap full in each bowl but you can add however much you like to create the colour intensity you want.
- Mix colouring in to incorporate it until it is combined and one colour.
- Divide the purple mixture between the cases, smooth to form the bottom layer.
- Continue to add each layer of mixture in the correct order (blue, green, yellow, orange, red)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing with your favourite icing.
This recipe will make approx 1 1/2 batches (18) I doubled the recipe that I used so this is just a guess!