I made our cake (of course) but I wanted to try something a little different for me. I wanted to make a dessert-y type cake.
So often people like the designs on cakes they see and will ask me to make a fondant covered cake, in fact, no one has asked me for a dessert-y cake! That might change after they see/taste this Nutella cake!
It is Gluten free and quite simple to make. You even get to roast your own hazelnuts! How exciting! (it was my first time roasting hazelnuts, so it was exciting for me!)
Nutella Cake Recipe
Adapted from Nigella Lawson
6 Eggs, Separated
Pinch of salt
125g Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
400g Nutella (or a cheap knock-off brand!)
1 T Water
100g Ground Hazelnuts
100g Dark Chocolate (melted and cooled down)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a 9" cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff consistency.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and Nutella together.
- Add water, egg yolks and ground hazelnuts and mix until combined.
- Fold in the cooled, melted chocolate.
- Lighten the mixture with a large spoon of egg white mixture and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites a third at a time.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for approx. 40 minutes or until the cake's beginning to come away at the sides.
- When the cake is baked through, leave to cool in the tin.
- Toast the hazelnuts by spreading them out on a baking tray and put in the oven set to 180 degrees C, fan bake for about 5 - 10 minutes, they will start to smell good and the skins will start to separate.
- Remove from oven and place the hazelnuts in a tea towel then roll them around to get rid of the skins. Make sure these are completely cooled down by the time you put them on the cake!
- Heat the cream, water and chocolate in a small pot over a medium heat.
- When chocolate is completely melted remove from heat and whisk for a couple of minutes then leave to cool until it reaches the right consistency to ice the cake with (mine turned out quite runny).
- Remove the sides of the tin (if using a spring form tin) and spread chocolate ganache over the top of the cake.
- Place the toasted hazelnuts on top of the cake and enjoy!