Lemons make me happy because lemons (in my house) produce lemon syrup loaf with very little effort on my part. When life gives you lemons, make lemon loaf!
I'm going to get into my happy place and share this amazing recipe which I would honestly say has to be one of my all time favourites.
Lemon Syrup Loaf
Makes one loaf
1 3/4 cup flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup milk
½ tsp. lemon juice
100g butter, melted
1 c caster sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon rind
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Pour half a teaspoon of lemon juice over the milk and leave to curdle (this is homemade buttermilk).
- Whisk the eggs together with the butter until combined.
- Add the sugar and lemon rind and whisk until combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients until just combined then add the buttermilk mixture.
- Mix until just combined, making sure not to over mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake for approximately 45 – 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the loaf is baking, mix the lemon juice and caster sugar together to make a syrup.
- Once loaf is cooked and straight out of the oven, pour syrup on top and leave to cool in the tin.