That was kind of sad.
Especially because my birthday was over a month ago.
The truth is I was anything but happy on my actual birthday.
I had assignments on the go, was trying to plan Mr S's surprise party and had no idea how I was going to run 21.2 kilometres for the Auckland Half Marathon.
Well, as I've already mentioned all that weight is now off my shoulders. But at the time of my birthday I was feeling a little (okay, that's an understatement) unhappy about my circumstances and for the first time in my life I chose not to celebrate my birth!
The sad thing was that I had already come up with ideas for my birthday cake (I mean months ago I planned this!)
So one month later I changed my cake idea to a more time-friendly model -a cupcake of course!
Originally I was going to make a 6" funfetti cake, covered in two tone coloured candy floss (that's cotton candy for you American folk) flavoured buttercream and sprinkled with a generous coating of one of my favourite candies, Nerds!
Instead I made funfetti cupcakes, filled them with Nerds and decorated them in two tone coloured candy floss buttercream. Close enough!
The cupcakes tasted great and I think they fit my birthday perfectly, they are so very 'me' don't you think?
So my birthday didn't end up so bad after all, especially because it ended with cupcakes!
Cotton Candy Cupcakes with Nerds Filling
Makes approx. 15 cupcakes
1 ¼ cups cake flour (replace 2 ½ tablespoons of flour with cornflour)
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup oil
½ cup buttermilk (or ½ cup milk with ½ tbsp. white vinegar)
30g long sprinkles or more if desired
Cotton Candy Buttercream:
200g butter, at room temperature
3 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp. milk
A few Drops of Cotton Candy Flavouring (I used almost 1/4 t)
Pink and blue food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Mix up buttermilk (if you're making your own like I always do) and set aside, this will look funny and chunky when you go to use it later.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl, stir together and set aside.
- Beat eggs until starting to get frothy (about 30 seconds) and add sugar, beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla and oil to egg mixture and beat until combined.
- In three additions, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients, add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the mixture, beat until just combined.
- Stir in the sprinkles until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the cake batter in to cupcake cases approx.2/3 full and bake for 12-14 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave cupcakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cupcakes are cool, cut a large hole in the middle of each and discard the tops (which means eat them!)
- Fill each hole with Nerds.
Cotton Candy Buttercream:
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift icing sugar into a large bowl, add to butter one cup at a time and mix until combined.
- When icing starts to get lumpy add a tablespoon of milk.
- Drop a couple of drops of flavouring into the icing and mix, add more to taste (I added about 1/4 teaspoon all up).
- Separate the icing between two bowls, I made 1/3 blue and the other 2/3 pink using Wilton gel colours Rose and Royal Blue.
- Prepare a piping bag with a large star tip and scoop blue and pink icing into the piping bag on either side.
- Slide the icing down the bag and pipe large swirls, it will come out looking two-tone coloured.
- Decorate with more Nerds if desired.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Glorious Treats